Dr. Roger Brighton
M.B., B.S., F.R.A.C.S.(Orth.)
I am an Orthopaedic Surgeon working in Sydney, Australia, subspecialising in Hip and Knee Replacement, Knee Arthroscopy and Knee Ligament reconstruction. This website is designed to provide you information about the operations I most commonly perform.
My website features web movies on Knee Arthroscopy, Unicondylar Knee Replacement, ACL reconstruction, Revision Hip and Knee Joint Replacements, Hip & Knee joint anatomy and some common conditions affecting the hip and knee joints.
The aim is to educate you on your condition and any recommended surgery. It allows you to make a more informed decision on your proposed surgery. I hope you find the information helpful in understanding your condition and recommended treatment.
Please note that your decision to have surgery should not be based exclusively on the information you read here, but be fully discussed with your surgeon or family doctor before proceeding.
I completed my medical degree at the University of NSW in 1986. After finishing the orthopaedic training scheme in Sydney in 1995, I continued my training overseas first at the Orthopaedic and Arthritic Hospital in Toronto, Canada and then at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, London, England, where I held the Commonwealth Fellowship.
University of New South Wales (1986)
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery M.B.B.S., (1986)
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons F.R.A.C.S. (Orthopaedics)
The New South Wales Medical Board
Hips & Knees
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Australian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Australian Medical Association
- Australian Arthroplasty Association
Current Appointments (Public Hospital):
- Visiting Medical Officer (Orthopaedic Surgeon), Blacktown/ Mt Druitt Public Hospital
I am actively involved in Registrar and Undergraduate teaching in the above hospitals.
Private Hospital Visiting Rights:
- Westmead Private
- Lakeview Private Hospital
My particular interests are:
- Joint Replacement Surgery of the Hip and Knee including minimally invasive techniques
- Arthroscopic Knee Surgery including OATS Procedures (Osteochondral Autograft Transfer System)
- All conditions of the adult hip
- Revision Joint Replacement
- Hip Resurfacing - which offers a more bone conserving option in the younger more active patient
Results of Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty With Cemented, Fixed-Bearing Prosthesis Using Minimally Invasive Surgery. Biswal, S and Brighton, RW, Journal of Arthroplasty, Vol. 25 No. 5 2010, pp 721-727.
- Mid-term results of Uncemented Stem with Metal-on-Metal Bearing, 5-7 Year Results, AOA NSW Meeting, Sept. 2017.
- Does Knee Stability Influence PROMs after Total Knee Replacement?, Australian Arthroplasty Association, Hobart, May 2018.
- Medially Stabilised vs. Cruciate Retaining Knee – is there a difference in PROMs?, AOA Annual Scientific Meeting, Perth, August 2018.